PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The Sr. Component Engineer will support design engineering in identification and qualification of electrical and mechanical components as well as Initiate and lead the efforts to identify and qualify second sources for material availability, cost reduction, reliability improvement purposes and component End-of-Life (EOL) management.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and execute component evaluation, acceptance and qualification test plans.
- Oversee verification and validation testing of components within the production environment working with Purchasing, MFG and Sustaining Engineering and production test technicians.
- Identify critical and high risk components in products. Develop and execute reliability test plans for these components.
- May participate in supplier audits for key component.
- Communicate to component manufacturers regarding component failures. Drive component failure analysis and corrective actions to closure.
- Review, analyze and optimize Bills of Materials (BOM’s) down to manufacturer part level.
- Ensure purchased components and sub assemblies’ are compliant to necessary environmental and safety standards, e.g. RoHS, REACH, UL, CE, CSA, ISO, IPC-A-610, Conflict Minerals, etc.
- Maintain and execute changes impacting the Approved Manufactures List (AML). Issue Engineering Change Orders (ECO’s), Manufacturing Change Orders (MCO’s).
- Review and address Product Change Notices (PCN’s) from component manufacturers. Track notices and maintain database.
- Oversees and Manages the EOL team meetings and database- Tracks component lifecycles. Proactively identify and drive solutions to resolve End-of-life (EOL) and obsolete situations and minimize impacts.
- Focal point for Contract Manufacturing for all technical component issues.
- Understand component technology roadmaps/trends and present them to Design Engineering.
- Assist with various projects as assigned by a direct supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.