Our Architecture & Design Department delivers truly exceptional properties that delight our guests, reward our partners, and reflect the unique cultures of their geographical locations. With design and construction professionals across 16 locations, we have the advantages of a global presence as well as the benefits of local resources, skills, and expertise.
What will I be doing?
You will support the Director, Architecture & Construction - Luxury Brands, the Senior Director of Design - Luxury Brands who oversees the Waldorf Astoria, Conrad and LXR Brands, and the Senior Vice President, Global Design Services (GDS) with strategic portfolio growth initiatives among Hilton's developing Luxury & Lifestyle Brands.
You will concentrate on feasibility and due diligence efforts to support Hilton's Luxury & Lifestyle (L&L) development team regarding new construction, adaptive reuse conversions of existing properties, as well as room addition / master plan projects and property renovations. You will also be responsible for leading and executing the Project Improvement Plans (PIPs) process for L&L Brand acquisitions and conversions by partnering with the Architecture & Construction, Development, Brand, and Operations (includes F&B, Spa / Fitness / Wellness, MEP, IT, etc.) Teams to bring hotels into the Hilton L&L Brand system. Conversion projects include Non-Hilton brand converting to a Hilton Luxury Brand, Hotel that has been closed converting to Hilton Luxury Brand, Hilton Brand converting to a different Hilton (Luxury) Brand, Hilton Brand relicensing and Hilton Luxury Brand Change-of-Ownership.
Your focus will be to the growth and elevation of both design and project quality for the L&L hotel, resort and branded residential portfolios, through successful project acquisitions and delivery for the respective L&L Brands. You will assist GDS L&L colleagues, specifically the Director, Architecture & Construction - Luxury Brands and collaborate with the A&C, Brand, Development, Operations and Technical Services teams, leading new development and due diligence acquisition / PIP efforts, GDS Design Initiatives and Design & Construction Standards. You will be responsible for North American Region (USA & Canada) L&L projects which are critical for Design, Brand, Operations and Technical assessments to achieve GDS approvals for projects being acquisitions, conversions, renovations and new construction.
You will work actively and collaboratively with both internal and third party business partners such as Owners, Operators (both Hilton and Franchise), Developers, and Design and Technical consultants to promote our benefited approach relative to due diligence efforts, area program development, planning and operational efficiencies. You will share strategic recommendations to improve the inherent value of the hotel asset through elevated design, product quality and timely delivery of work initiatives, being mindful of Owner budgets and schedules. These objectives should be seen as part of ongoing training for continued professional development. GDS Initiatives and project specific work will require moderate to extensive business travel.
More specifically, you will: Project Evaluations:
- Independently and collaboratively assess new construction projects and conversion of existing properties for Luxury Brand portfolio alignment, through in-depth site inspections, FF&E and GC drawings and/or specification submittal reviews, etc. for compliance with GDS and Luxury Brand standards.
- Craft written and visual recommendation and approval documents for internal review and external publication. Project evaluations and direction shall optimize the quality of the guests' experience and overall performance of the property. Projects will encompass both Brand conversion and long-range CAPEX planning objectives, PIP development, property and project assessments, site and desktop evaluations for conversions, renovations and new construction projects.
- Serve in the primary capacity of 1) Development collaboration, oversight and leadership 2) Assist with Luxury development Due Diligence, PIP's and Feasibility Analysis 3) Senior leadership team participation and 4) Forecasting, data management and reporting.
- Post-acquisition, you will lead select project related design processes and technical services efforts for L&L Brand projects, working closely with owners, architects, interior designers, specialty design and technical consultants, and contractors.
- Proactively refine and enforce Design & Construction Standards and for monitoring construction activities for L&L Brand projects; which includes area program development, reviewing architectural and engineering documents, both individually and collaboratively with Hilton partners at critical stages of each project's development and ensuring that proper procedures are established to guarantee consistency with the L&L Brand properties across the global domain.
- Provide brand directives and recommendations in assessing all potential hotel assets (new build or conversion) as candidates for Hilton's Luxury Brands.
- Establish, review and approve the design and development of Area Programs for each new build and conversion opportunity.
- Support Luxury Brand development through site identification and assessment, space planning, market analysis, development of relationships with key development partners, third party consultants and contractors, brand presentations, etc.
- Provide direction to key partners in other Hilton departments to ensure that each new addition to the portfolio reflects the desired Luxury position of each Brand and also considers the local market dynamics and competitive set; including creating alignment around the number of food and beverage outlets, suite mix, guestroom size, spa facilities and other amenities. Deep understanding of hotel back-of-house programming and planning principles are key. This product leadership role ensures that Development, Design, Feasibility and Operations are aligned behind the directed positioning.
- Produce product improvement plans (PIP's) for conversion opportunities with GDS, Brand and Development, and make recommendations for approval by Global Head(s) of respective Luxury Brands.
- Actively participate in senior leadership activities including key decisions influencing the direction of Hilton's Luxury Brands, key project management strategies and initiatives, participation at major events and conferences and helping ensure the L&L Brand team continues to build the best global portfolio.
- Update project data in O2O tracking system, provide accurate forecasted construction start and hotel opening dates for senior management forecasting purposes, provide weekly project updates to working project team and provide monthly updates to executive team.
- Industry Knowledge; strive to be knowledgeable of our industry and current design trends and products relative to L&L Brand growth, as a basis to maintain innovative design criteria.
- Competitive Market; make a concerted effort to tour recently completed Hilton and non-Hilton L&L properties both locally and as travel warrants.
- Professional Development; attend professional and/or community events to represent Hilton, always being aware of career development opportunities.
What are we looking for?
We believe the success in this role will demonstrate itself through the following attributes and skills:
- Deep understanding and detailed knowledge with Luxury & Lifestyle hotel and resort architecture, interior design, and FF&E technical specification writing and evaluations
- Ability to successfully communicate in both oral and written forms and graphically by developing diagrams and documenting reviews (e.g. Bluebeam, loose hand sketches, etc.)
- Interpersonal communicators and networkers who will positively influence Hilton's partners to communicate effectively at all levels and who can share relevant information in a clear, professional and concise manner
- Collaborative and organized teammate who can build positive relationships and trust with direct reports and the greater team
- Effectively manage conflict resolutions and handle all disputes in a swift and efficient manner
- Strong project management, organizational, communication and collaborative skills, including the ability to manage details through to completion, ensure project objectives are met and projects are successfully delivered
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite; (Outlook, Excel, Word and Power Point)
To fulfill this role successfully, you must possess the following minimum qualifications and experience:
- BA/BS Bachelor's Degree in Architecture or Interior Architecture or Hospitality Real Estate Development
- Seven (7) years of experience working within the Hospitality Design Industry within the Luxury or Lifestyle sector
- Experience working with Bluebeam and Adobe Suite (Acrobat Pro, Photoshop, inDesign, Illustrator)
- General knowledge of accessibility, building codes and technical requirements as it relates to hospitality architecture and design industry
- Ability to travel 50% of the time
It would be advantageous in this position for you to demonstrate the following capabilities and distinctions:
- Twelve (12) years of experience in the Hospitality Design Industry, and within the Luxury & Lifestyle development sector
- Professional experience with L&L resort and branded residential real estate projects
- Sketch-up, AutoCAD or other 3D visualization software experience
- Current Licensed Architect
Hilton is the leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For nearly a century, Hilton has offered business and leisure travelers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities and value. Hilton is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands. Our vision to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality unites us as a team to create remarkable hospitality experiences around the world every day. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!