SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS
Directs and organizes all general accounting activities and accounting staff. Prepares accounting and financial reports. Ensures completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of accounting records. Also ensures accounting systems are in control and takes necessary steps to minimize risk to the organization.
The Senior Accountant must possess and apply a strong knowledge of fundamental accounting concepts and practices while evaluating and improving accounting methods and procedures. Under limited supervision and instruction, the Senior Accountant completes assignments that are both standard and varied requiring ingenuity and originality. The individual must also have the ability to assume supervisory responsibilities and provide guidance for accounting staff personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintains the general ledger and all related accounts with proper documentation and records all of Divisional transactions; reviews entries to the general and subsidiary ledgers to assure accuracy and compliance with the Company's and established accounting principles; assists Data Integrity with changes to chart of accounts. Responsible for monthly and year-end closing of the general ledger including preparation of journal entries.
- Assists, prepares and reviews monthly journal entries, consolidating entries and month-end analyses in the area of revenue and expense recognition, accruals and fixed assets.
- Assists and prepares various schedules and commentary required for reports issued to management
- Prepares all Balance Sheet reconciliations and maintains files of supporting documentation.
- Prepares ad hoc financial information requests and analysis as required.
- Prepares and maintains written procedures on job responsibilities.
- Evaluates and recommends improvements to accounting procedures and systems.
- Provides guidance to accounting staff
- Works with other departments and Divisions within Group, promoting strong relationships between department members such as Supply Chain, Sales, Financial Planning and Analysis and Accounting both at the Corporate Office and other locations
- Assists with special projects
- Administers preparation of interim, year-end, and comparative financial reports; performs and provides analysis of current results to prior periods and/or budget. Prepares any required government reports as directed by the controller and responds to inquiries as necessary.
- Stays current with developments, practice trends, and promulgations in the accounting profession; monitors accounting systems and recommends new or revised policies and procedures.
- Assists the Controller in training and management of accounting staff.
- Ensures that monthly bank reconciliation for all accounts have been completed; verifies accuracy of bank statements and resolve questions or problems.
- Maintains fixed asset records and control; determines depreciation terms/rates to apply to capitalized items.
- Assists the Controller in coordinating the year-end financial audit and preparing schedules and documents for independent (third-party) auditors.
- Maintain other accounts and performs other accounting duties, as required or requested by the Controller.
- Understands and complies with established departmental processes and procedures designed to support internal controls efforts. Identifies and brings to the attention of department management internal controls deficiencies.
Reports directly to the Controller. Assists in the supervision of subordinate accountants.
- Bachelor's Degree in with a major in Accounting (or equivalent), CPA preferred
- Minimum of 4 years of accounting experience.
- Must possess excellent analytical skills capable of understanding and documenting sales related variances and the ability to make sound business decisions
- Must possess strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be knowledgeable of automated accounting software systems (AX, ACCPAC preferred)
- Must be PC literate within a windows environment and have a good working knowledge of Microsoft Application
Good reasoning ability is required to solve a wide range of business problems. Must be able to apply statistical calculations, analysis of variance correlation techniques, and sampling theory, as well as know algebra, linear equations, and other analytics. Must be able to understand and utilize common financial reports and legal documents.