The Rooms Controller is responsible for ensuring the front desk operation runs smoothly with regards to guestroom inventory and availability, as well as providing an exceptional arrival and departure experience for all guests. This also includes with assisting guests with check-in, check-out, over the phone, and via text message to ensure guests are served in a timely manner. The incumbent plays a key role in ensuring total guest satisfaction throughout a guest stay and will be an excellent problem solver.
The Rooms Controller reports directly to the Front Office Manager.
What will I be doing?
Duties and Supporting Responsibilities
• Maintaining day-to-day operation of the Front Desk with regards to guestroom availability, including balancing room inventory
• Manages room inventory and availability on day of arrival
• Assist Director of Rooms and Front Office Manager with administrative work and email correspondence
• Manage pending rooms and maintain proactive and open communication with guests
• Cooperate and coordinate with other departments, especially Housekeeping, Engineering, Room Reservations, Front Services, and Conferences Services
• Full responsibility of blocking all rooms on a daily basis, as well as special requests prior to arrival
• Manage ordering processes for the department, as well as control and analyze departmental costs to ensure spending is within budget.
• In absence of MOD, assist with duty manager calls and requests
• Ensures all preparations are made to ensure a smooth arrival for all guests
• Ensures proper handling, blocking, and escorting of all VIP and Special Attention guests in conjunction with Personal Concierge team.
• Independently own and coordinate room blocking and pre-keying of group arrivals
• Support departmental upsell initiatives by managing and communicating suite inventory in an profitable manner
• Post charges to guestroom accounts and ensure all hotel credits are applied accurately
• Works with Engineering and Housekeeping to ensure total control of out of order rooms and confirm that they are returned to inventory
• Greet and escort guests promptly to their rooms, eloquently suggesting appropriate, personalized recommendations of the property based on the distinctness of the guest and their visit
• Address special guest preferences recorded in guest history profiles, ensure any learned preferences are properly recorded, including from guest surveys
• Receive complaints with empathy, keeping the guest's perspective in mind, responding urgently and appropriately, including immediate notification of the duty manager or the next available manager
• Be able to offer alternatives to guests and team members, instead of saying no
• Provide quality service with team members to the guests by responding to requests promptly, efficiently and courteously during check-in, check-out and throughout the guest's experience
• Arrange fulfillment of guest services by working with the concierge, housekeeping, PBX, personal concierge, reservations and room service team members
• Handle guests incoming and outgoing correspondence, (facsimile, messages, mail, etc.)
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of all guest information and pertinent hotel data
• Perform any other reasonable duties as required by the Front Office Manager or Duty Manager
• Be able to perform phone coverage, acting as call center agent for a full 8 hour shift
• Able to escort guests to their rooms in full compliance with property policies and standards, including gratuity policy
• One year of Hotel Front Desk experience within a luxury environment
• Strong written and communication skills in the English language.
• Basic computer and typing skills.
• Able to multi-task and remain composed at all times.
• Strong desire to provide excellent guest service.
• The ability to work well in a team environment.
• Able to stand for extended periods of time.
• Flexible schedule required to meet the demands of a 24 hour operation, which includes weekends, overnight, and holidays.
• Professional appearance and demeanor at all times.
• Strong demonstrated ability to handle cash and financial transactions
• Successful problem solving skills
• Two or more years of Hotel Front Desk experience within a luxury operation
• Additional languages are advantageous.
• Graduate of Hotel School or related college degree.
• Knowledge of computers and property management systems such as OnQ, HotSOS, Excel, PowerPoint and Microsoft Office
Each of the items listed is considered an essential function of the position. However, the duties, responsibilities and requirements presented in this job description are intended to be broad based and high level and should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all roles or responsibilities for the position. The Company reserves the right to alter the duties and responsibilities of the position.
It is Company policy to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, including by providing reasonable accommodations that do not constitute an undue hardship on the Company. Employees or applicants should direct requests for accommodation to Director of Human Resources.
What are we looking for?
Since being founded in 1919, Hilton has been a leader in the hospitality industry. Today, Hilton remains a beacon of innovation, quality, and success. This continued leadership is the result of our Team Members staying true to our Vision, Mission, and Values. Specifically, we look for demonstration of these Values:
- Hospitality - We're passionate about delivering exceptional guest experiences.
- Integrity - We do the right thing, all the time.
- Leadership - We're leaders in our industry and in our communities.
- Teamwork - We're team players in everything we do.
- Ownership - We're the owners of our actions and decisions.
- Now - We operate with a sense of urgency and discipline
In addition, we look for the demonstration of the following key attributes:
- Customer Focus
Hilton is the leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For nearly a century, Hilton has offered business and leisure travelers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities and value. Hilton is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands. Our vision to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality unites us as a team to create remarkable hospitality experiences around the world every day. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!