At Smiths Detection, we know that our people are our most valuable asset. With that in mind, we offer excellent competitive compensation, a great working environment, and the opportunity to work with leading edge technology. We are looking for people who are seeking a challenging position; those who thrive in an environment where innovation and responsiveness are the norm. Smiths Detection is a leader in explosive and narcotics detection for aviation safety, checked baggage screening, military & critical infrastructure protection and new growth platforms in Chem/Bio, X-ray and Radiation/Nuclear detection. If you would like to be a part of a fast-paced, exciting industry that demands and rewards the best, we want to hear from you.
Smiths Detection, Inc. participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program.Job Description
Duties & Responsibilities
The role is responsible for giving the overriding product strategy for a broad product portfolio which addresses a particular capability area or application field. Leads a team that provides Marketing and Technical Support to Sales, generates “Go-to-Market Strategies, and launches new Products to the Regions. Team supports the full lifecycle of the product line from Gate 0 to Gate 7. In addition, the individual will provide subject matter expertise and market knowledge.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Product lifecycle management from concept to end of life across all products/product lines within the role
- Collaborates with the Sales, Technology, Global Strategy as well as the Marketing & Business Development teams to deliver the Product and Capability Strategy
- Develops the Capability Roadmaps in order to provide outline guidance for Stakeholder Engagement Plans and Product Roadmaps
- Develops the Product Roadmaps from the Capability Roadmaps and communicates to the broader business
- Interfaces closely with the customer community and key industry stakeholders in close collaboration with the internal customers to drive product sales into the region by training the Sales organization, Representatives, and Distributors
- Continuously monitor their particular capability area and report on any business success critical changes including competitive intelligence
- Provide subject matter expertise and market knowledge into the business to all functions of the business including Mergers and Acquisitions.
- Manages and directs a team of Product Managers. Evaluates employee performance, sets expectations and goals for department and individual staff members, recruits, disciplines and trains staff
- Complying with and promoting all relevant legal requirements & Smiths policies and procedures, including business ethics, data protection and health & safety
Education/Training: Post Secondary Education in Science, Engineering, Industrial engineering and management or equivalent experience
- Significant experience (>5 years) in Technical Marketing or Business Administration with specific experience in Product Marketing preferred. An advanced degree may be used in lieu of experience.
- Led or been active participant in projects encompassing Cross Functional teams. Project Management Experience preferred
- Broad experience and understanding of multiple aspects of a business including but not limited to Customer Service, Manufacturing, Operations, Purchasing, Sales, Marketing, Research and Product Development
- Ability to interact and drive results in cross-functional teams in a matrix environment and influence people outside of direct reporting relationships
- Experience in overall product road mapping
- Experience in dealing directly with Customers
- Effective communication skills at all levels of the organization.
- Market oriented way of thinking
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project. Access and Visio also preferred
- Working knowledge of SAP (tool)
- Fluent in spoken and written English in addition to local language
Knowledge/Skills: Understanding of global business and product marketing. Familiar with the road mapping process and a strong affinity for working with customers. Ability to interact and drive results in cross-functional teams in a matrix environment and influence people outside of direct reporting relationships
Supervises: The Product Management team within the location and/or function
This position requires access to ITAR, EAR, and Department of State or Department of Commerce controlled information. If not a U.S. Person (citizen, green card holder or other permanent resident) applicant must be able to qualify for a Deemed Export License from appropriate agency.
- Ability to solve complex practical problems
- Deal with a wide variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Ability to work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines
- Individual may be required to sit, stand, walk regularly and occasionally lift 0-50 pounds
Work environment: Work environment is typically an office environment located on-site, within a Smiths location during normal or extended business hours. Work environment may also include employee’s residence, customer site or other location as required. Required to travel on an as needed basis
Smiths Detection is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Equal Opportunity Employer