This position provides Environmental Health and Safety, Security, and Sustainability (EHS3) support in the Americas. Responsible for insuring compliance with EHS3 related regulatory agency requirements which may include, but is not limited to OSHA, EPA, and DHS. Prepares VWR locations for emergencies, works to reduce the occurrence of safety, health, medical, environmental, and regulatory issues, and ensures the completion of EHS3 training as needed.
- Implements the strategies necessary to minimize the number of occupational injuries and illnesses.
- Manages hazardous waste programs and ensures that hazardous waste is stored and transported in accordance with applicable rules. Ensures that associates who handle hazardous waste are trained in accordance with applicable rules.
- Conducts and coordinates regulatory compliance audits, ensures the appropriate actions are taken to resolve audit findings, and implements the programs prevent future recurrence.
- Works with the various local business partners to establish contingency plans that address potential emergencies including hazardous materials spills, fires, evacuations, labor interruption and other potential business interruptions.
- Works closely with the Human Resources and Legal organizations to drive down workers’ compensation claims costs and reduce VWR’s workers’ compensation exposure.
- Completes incident investigation and analysis and performs site hazard assessments
- Provides environmental, health and safety training.
- Partners with the Facility Manager and site leadership to implement physical security measures and manage security programs.
- Works with the Sustainability Manager to develop sustainability related initiatives including but not limited to the reduction of natural resource usage and the minimization of waste.
Experience & Skills:
- Depending on site responsibility, may require fluency in Spanish or French; Portuguese desired
- Strong leadership, decision-making and analytical skills
- Organizational skills required to prioritize work and meet deadlines
- Working knowledge of industrial hygiene analysis and best practices as well as medical monitoring programs
- Strong computer application skills and proficiency (Microsoft Office)
- Excellent interpersonal skill, including strong oral and written communication skills
- Must have a strong working knowledge of operational and technical issues and concepts, and an understanding of the associate EHS requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related technical discipline
- 8+ years of relevant work experience (10+ years if degree is in non-technical field)
- 3+ years leadership experience
Environmental Working Conditions & Physical Effort:
- Typically works in an office environment with adequate lighting and ventilation and a normal range of temperature and noise level.
- Depending on site responsibility, may require travel approximately 30-40% of the time.
- Work assignments are diversified. Examples of past precedent are used to resolve work problems. New alternatives may be developed to resolve problems.
- A frequent volume of work and deadlines impose strain on routine basis.
- Minimal physical effort is required. Work is mostly sedentary but does require walking, standing, bending, reaching, lifting or carrying objects that typically weigh less than 10 lbs.
Avantor® is a global manufacturer and distributor of high-quality products, services and solutions to professionals in the life sciences and advanced technology industries. As our channel brand, VWR offers an integrated, seamless purchasing experience that is optimized for the way our customers do business. Operating from over 30 countries worldwide, the company seeks to enable customer success in the biopharmaceutical, pharmaceutical, medical device, diagnostics, healthcare, educational, industrial, government, aerospace & defense, and semiconductor industries. For more information visit www.settingscienceinmotion.com.
Resume Submissions To VWR From Third Party Recruitment Firms Will Not Be Considered
VWR is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
VWR maintains a drug free workplace.
VWR is a US Federal contractor.
VWR and design are registered trademarks of VWR International, LLC. VWR International, LLC is aware of fraudulent e-mails referencing VWR job opportunities. Please note: VWR does not hire employees through e-mail solicitation and never requests any employee to cash money orders or send money to others. If you question the validity of a job, please visit jobs.vwr.com .
For more information on VWR please visit www.vwr.com .
Job Posting Date: 2018-09-30