Food Safety and Sanitation Manager
The Food Safety & Sanitation Manager oversees the execution of corporate and local plant company policies, procedures, and training elements. This role will set standards for maintaining cleaning equipment, developing cleaning equipment planned maintenance Implementation for sanitation assurance initiatives, microbiological objectives, allergen control, pest control and plant regulatory compliance programs for sanitation and calibration programs in five key areas of responsibility to include food plant sanitation, food safety, SQF Safe Quality Food, HACCP and occupational health and safety. The individual in this position will effectively work with production and quality assurance management to ensure that key food safety / sanitation / workplace health & safety objectives and goals are achieved.
- Responsible for the execution of all corporate food safety related strategies, policies and procedures at the plant level. Effectively communicate and work with all related departments to identify food safety hazards and to effectively mitigate food safety risks.
- Ensure compliance with local, state and federal food safety laws including applicable parts of the Code of Federal Regulations, FDA Food Code and Good Manufacturing Practices Regulations including industry best practice
- Customarily audit food safety practices to evaluate performance and compliance; sanitation deviations, provide objective feedback to plant management to address opportunities for improvement.
- Understands chemical specifications and their effectiveness/proper application for different processing and packaging equipment SSOP’s, Sanitation Standard Operating Procedure.
- Conducts scheduled sanitation validation audits including dismantling and inspecting critical processing and packaging equipment to ensure optimal cleanliness/sanitization.
- Responsible for OSHA compliance and workplace safety including required training programs.
- Maintains and revises departmental procedures including the master sanitation schedule and SSOP’s reflecting process improvements that maintain or improve pre-operational and operational hygienic conditions
- Ensure operational efficiencies, training and development, and streamlines process related to food safety with a focus toward CI (continuous improvement), to maintain standards and controls are in place and aligned with industry best practices and associated regulatory and/or compliance requirements.
- Oversee and direct activities related to pest control including monitoring, recordkeeping, exclusion practices and treatment programs.
- Assist with the maintenance for the HACCP Plan
- Develop and maintain workplace safety procedures and policies, and design, develop and deliver related training to meet the needs and initiatives for Crescent Foods.
- Perform related duties as assigned or as the situation dictates
- In the absence of the Food Safety and Sanitation Manager the Sanitation Supervisor will fill-in.
- Proficient in standard business office software
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and organizational skills Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Fluency in written and verbal English
- Proven ability to think independently and handle multiple projects through to completion Record of successfully collaborating with and influencing senior management and peers Demonstrated ability to lead and manage staf
- Strong knowledge of food safety systems and practices related to food hygiene, sanitation, SSOPs, GMPs.
- Excellent team building, oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work within a food plant environment without restrictions.
- Demonstrated independent work initiative, sound judgment, diplomacy, analytical ability and professional demeanor
- Able to perform financial calculations and create and manage budgets
Education and Experience
- Bachelors Degree in Food Science, Microbiology, Environmental Health or related field
- Demonstrated experience in working with frozen food forms and FSMA compliance
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in food plant operations, food safety, sanitation and or pest control.
- Experience with OSHA, EPA and other regulations and standards such as NFPA (National Fire Protection Association.
- Certifications in Food Safety, HACCP and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
- 5 years direct reports with supervisory experience
- R & D experience required
- Ability to speak and communicate in Spanish, a plus but not mandatory
Permanent with Benefits
Chicago, IL 60623
Elite Staffing, Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our policy of equal employment opportunity is to recruit, hire, train and promote persons without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, handicap or any other protected status.