Hilton is creating a best-in-class data & analytics department that will lead a connected ecosystem of data, technology, tools, techniques, people and processes. This innovative data & analytics function will drive advanced analytics and actionable insights to help drive Hilton's performance.
What will I be doing?
The newly formed Data Strategy and Governance Team supports key functions across the business by utilizing creative solutions to provide frictionless and timely access to high-quality, integrated data. The team consists of authorities in data governance, data quality, data integration, data modeling/architecture and BI reporting and dashboards.
Working with the Senior Director Data Governance, the Director, Data Governance - Policy and Privacy will partner with teams across the organization to implement a Data Governance program to help manage Data as an Asset. In this role, you will be responsible for helping design and implement the Data Governance program in several stages as part of a strategic plan to continue transforming Hilton into a data driven organization.
A main focus of the role is to support the enhancement and implementation of the Data Governance policies and procedures. Further, this role would collaborate across the Data Protection Officer's Office, Legal, business and IT functions to support the development and implementation of appropriate policies and standards, including enforcement, around data governance and management to achieve the required level of consistency, quality and protection to meet overall business, regulatory, and privacy needs. This role would also be responsible for managing and developing data governance resources with required business and technical skills and advance data management capabilities. The role will have close ties and overlap with Data Management, Architecture & Integration, Data Quality and Reporting functions.
As the Director, Data Governance you should be a creative, innovative professional, a trusted partner with Business Data Owners, Analytics CoE, DPO, Legal, and IT. You should also be a strong collaborator ensuring that our data is organized and controlled, while improving the management of core data assets, addressing regulatory requirements as well as supporting the strategic requirements of the Department's Architecture & Integration, Data Quality and Reporting functions.
More specifically, you will:
- Create and maintain DG policies, playbook(s), processes, procedures for guiding various data management processes, including data security and privacy, data quality control and data dissemination activities.
- Ensure policies are in alignment with the Governance framework of Protecting sensitive data.
- Coordinate identification of regulatory compliance requirements with DPO, Legal, Chief Risk Officer's Office, and Global Information Security teams.
- Maintain centralized repository of regularity compliance requirements for all Hilton geographies; including requirements for compliance with regulations such as GDPR, CCPA, etc.
- Manage enforcement of legal, contractual, regulatory, and architectural compliance requirements.
- Ensure data compliance and privacy as part of product design.
- Define the framework for implementing Privacy-by-Design as an integral part of product design and development.
- Increase awareness of the compliance and privacy requirements across business units.
- Align data management practices with regulatory requirements.
- Establish standards for foundational data functions across the enterprise such as data access and storage.
- Identify and manage key metrics to evaluate effectiveness of the DG function.
- Perform regular monitoring and audits of various DG policies, processes, procedures.
- Report on findings of audits and DG metrics.
- Establish industry and external organizations partnerships and Hilton presence.
- Establish and implement effective communication plan, training on DG policies, processes, procedures and timely communication with partners.
- Implement and maintain DG artifacts for the enterprise such as data inventory, glossary and data dictionary, data cataloging and classification.
What are we looking for?
We are seeking problem solvers who are passionate about increasing market penetration in a dynamic industry and who love to combine their analytical skills with business shrewdness. We believe success in this role will demonstrate itself through the following attributes and skills:
- Ability to lead a high performing team in driving performance and achievements
- Excellent communicator with great interpersonal and presentation skills, as well as the ability to write well and translate complex issues into simple language that people who are not experts can understand
- Ability to work effectively across a matrixed environment and influence without formal authority
- Able to lead change and inspire flexibility between various teams
- Ability to conceive and portray the big data picture and be able to develop an end-to-end vision for the enterprise
- Understanding of the importance of maintaining the physical and technical security and privacy of data
- Embraces agile project management, and understands critical roles of requirements gathering, design, test, and validation techniques
- Ability to effectively integrate, contribute and overlap with other functions within Data Strategy and Governance tower
- Self-starter, well organized, extremely thorough and a confident teammate, willing to take ownership of responsibilities, and possess a high level of positive energy and drive
- Ability to lead multiple priorities, work well under the gun and effectively handle concurrent demands to prioritize responsibilities
To fulfill this role successfully, you should demonstrate the following minimum qualifications:
- Eight (8) years of experience leading a successful enterprise data governance program with at least three (3) years of people leadership
- Seven (7) years of experience in policy or data driven programs or projects that include working with data driven initiatives, privacy issues, or complex projects that touch multiple systems
- Knowledge of regulations like CCPA, GDPR, HIPPA, SOX
- Experience with Hadoop, Hive, AWS cloud services
- Knowledge of industry standard methodologies, master data management (MDM), data governance, established data management principles and techniques, and emerging data and reporting technologies
- Knowledge of NIST (National institute of standards and technology) security and privacy standards and ISO (International Organization for Standardization)
- Knowledge of tools to query and manipulate data in varying file formats including Hive, RedShift, Hadoop and other databases
- Knowledge of programming and the software development lifecycle (SDLC)
- Demonstrable proficiency with getting results, especially in a matrixed or influence based environment
- Strong relationship building skills, coupled with high eye for business
- Experience in implementing processes across large organizations
- Solid understanding of and experience executing the SDLC and agile scrum process
- Good attention to detail and passion for quality work product
- Working experience with surrounding and supporting principals of data management
- Advanced presentation skills
- End-to-end understanding of the data flow process (from ingestion to consumption layer)
It would be helpful in this position for you to demonstrate the following capabilities and distinctions:
- BA/BS Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college/university; MA/MS Master's Degree from an accredited college/university
- Two (2) years of experience working with Master Data Management and Metadata Management tools including Informatica, Talend, Alteryx, Apache Atlas, Alation, and other data management systems
- Functional experience in hospitality, especially related to the customer lifecycle
Hilton is the world's leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For nearly a century, Hilton has offered business and leisure travelers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities, and value. Hilton is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands. Our vision to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality unites us as a team to create remarkable hospitality experiences around the world every day. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!