Cobham’s Integrated Electronic Solutions’ (IES ) Lansdale, PA business is a leading supplier of integrated RF solutions and high power, solid state broadband transmitters for EW and Radar applications and antennas and precision positioners both for standalone aperture and positioner requirements as well as integrated sensor systems across many high performance applications. The Lansdale business is experiencing exciting growth and is recruiting a Senior Engineering Development Manager to lead a group of four or more Engineering Development Managers in coordinating engineering activities across engineering functions for complex development programs. The engineering team is very strong, encompassing over 100 engineering professionals including systems, software, RF, power amplifier, antenna, mechanical, reliability, test engineers and other specialties, located in Lansdale as well as across several other sites.
This role reports to the Lansdale Director of Engineering. The ideal candidate is someone with a strong engineering and programmatic background that has experience in managing complex engineering development programs and continuous improvement efforts across a diverse product portfolio and has proven capabilities to work across functions in a matrix organization to achieve operational results.
- Lead a core group of Engineering Development Managers (EDM) in overseeing engineering activities on all development programs, in coordination with program management, to assure successful program execution for technical, schedule, development cost, and design-to-unit-production cost (DTUPC) objectives.
- Manage the EDM group to:
- In coordination with program management and the lead engineer, develop detailed program schedules and engineering work assignments, assuring clear assignments, visibility, and buy-in/accountability at all levels.
- Update schedules and manloading requirements for engineering tasks on an on-going basis, identify issues, and develop and implement work-arounds with the engineering team to maintain schedule and program objectives.
- Drive SOF-E application and adherence, including appropriate categorization and tailoring for each program. Assure that reviews are held and that artifacts are maintained.
- Participate in design reviews and provide technical oversight of design activities in coordination with the lead engineer to drive adherence to program requirements. Work collaboratively with manufacturing engineering to assure that design-for-manufacturing and design-for-reliability principles are applied.
- Provide accurate and timely risk and opportunity assessments, decision making, and root cause corrective actions (RCCAs).
- Coordinate drawing and material releases with the engineering, drafting/design, and material planning functions.
- In coordination with the lead engineer and supply chain, assure appropriate vendor selection and vendor development if required.
- Lead, participate in, and facilitate continuous improvement efforts related to engineering development, test readiness, production readiness, and other engineering-related topics using Kaizen, A3, and other continuous improvement methods.
- Manage engineering Key Performance Indicator (KPI) data collection and reporting for development programs. Drive improvements in engineering performance metrics.
- Promote a culture of teamwork, collaboration, and accountability within engineering and with the other functions such as program management, business development, and operations
- In coordination with the Director of Engineering and functional engineering managers, ensure alignment with the business strategy and drive the strategy, tactics, and execution down through the engineering organization
- Provide accurate and timely risk assessments, decision making, and root cause corrective actions (RCCAs) across all development programs
- In coordination with business development and the Technical Directors, drive development proposal activities, including generation of technical volumes, basis of estimates, requirement trackers, compliance matrices, risk and opportunity assessments, etc.
- Talent management, including recruitment, mentoring, training, development, performance management, and succession planning, to assure that skilled resources are available to successfully execute required Engineering Development Manager responsibilities for all development programs
- Ability to lead and drive high performance across engineering programs, with a strong focus on program execution and rigor, customer satisfaction, and speed to market
- Ability to apply sound technical and programmatic judgment, make impactful decisions in complex and ambiguous situations, often with incomplete data
- Ability to work within a matrixed management structure in an agile and non-siloed manner
- Ability to build excellent relationships with key stakeholders, ensuring “cross-pollination” of insights and experiences
- Ability to ensure effective design discussions occur at all levels; strong written and verbal communication skills, employing diplomacy, confidence and tact; assertive without antagonism or alienation
- Critical thinking knowledge to identify and investigate potential risk areas, conduct root cause analyses, and resolve technical issues. Demonstrated ability to quickly review and analyze data, create reports, and present findings to panels, groups, teams, or departments as required
- Ability to strongly mediate and develop alternate approaches when there are diverse and conflicting needs in order to achieve positive outcomes
- Good engineering work practice/ethic, self-motivated, and reliable. Demonstrated ability to deliver on-time and work well with team members as a project lead.
- Ability to role-model for the organization in line with Cobham’s SPIRIT values, exhibiting exemplary leadership behavior and emotional intelligence
Key Measures / Milestones:
- Attaining Engineering Operational Excellence goals for development programs including technical, schedule, and development cost, design-to-unit-production cost, design for manufacturability, and design for reliability goals
- Engineering Key Performance Indicators (KPI) improvement