The Assistant Controller is responsible for accuracy and timeliness of financial statements for ACS and other holding companies. The individual manages the accounting function for these entities and ensures that the accounting records and reports are in compliance with US GAAP. The Assistant Controller oversees the preparation of monthly, quarterly, annual and periodic financial statements and reports. This individual efficiently manages and improves the accounting cycle and associated processes (GL, reconciliations, etc.) and maintains a close relationship with other departments (AR, AP, Payroll, Purchasing, etc.) who affect the accounting cycle. They will work with the Corporate Controller to develop and improve department policies, procedures and internal controls, as well as to improve company-wide accounting policies.
The Assistant Controller manages the annual ACS budget process and updates the annual forecast, working closely with the VP of Finance. The Assistant Controller oversees the analysis and preparation of departmental budget vs. actual reports and communicates with ACS leaders to help manage and understand Corporate overhead spend. The individual is responsible for ensuring that ACS maintains proper accounting treatment of all intercompany activity and allocations by working with our domestic and global subsidiaries to ensure that intercompany transactions are properly supported and meet our required standards (GAAP, internal controls, tax requirements, etc.).
Among other responsibilities, the Assistant Controller will assist the Corporate Controller with Corporate Initiatives in the department, as requested. They will also provide support to the Vice President of Finance, as needed, particularly on the annual ACS budget.
- Oversee the monthly creation of Profit and Loss statements and the Balance Sheet for ACS and related entities
- Ensure the accounting records and reports for ACS and related entities are in compliance with US GAAP
- Manage the ACS accounting function and ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and year-end close
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure
- Review and maintain a deep understanding of all reconciliations prepared by team members
- Prepare reconciliations for select critical and/or confidential accounts
- Manage ACS annual budget and forecasting activities
- Oversee the analysis and preparation of monthly departmental budget vs. actual reports by the Financial Analyst and communicate with ACS departmental leaders to help manage and understand Corporate overhead spend
- Oversee allocation of corporate overhead expenses to subsidiaries and communicate changes in allocated expenses to subsidiaries' Finance leaders
- Collaborate with the other Finance department managers to support overall department goals and objectives
- Monitor and analyze department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources, while maintaining a high level of accuracy
- Supervise the general ledger group to ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met
- Advise staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions
- Provide direct reports with further understanding of business operations
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed
- Handle personnel issues relating to staff conflicts, absenteeism, performance issues, etc.
- Work with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for the year; monitor and advise on progress to enhance the professional development of staff
- Collaborate with other members of the department to research and understand US and Foreign GAAP differences to ensure proper accounting for specific transactions
- Respond to inquiries from the Vice President of Finance, Corporate Controller, and other Finance and company-wide managers regarding financial results, special reporting requests, etc.
- Work with the Corporate Controller to ensure a clean and timely year-end audit, including assistance with preparation of select disclosures required for annual audit and review reports
- Support Corporate Controller with special projects and development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department
- Assist Corporate Controller with efforts to improve accounting policies, procedures and internal controls
- Supervision of four Senior and Staff Accountants and one Financial Analyst.
- The individual may coach corporate processors (Procurement, AP, Payroll, Treasury, AR, HR, etc.) on the accounting effects of their actions.
Manages the overall ACS annual budget process, with oversight from the Corporate Controller and Vice President of Finance. The Assistant Controller will also oversee the creation of budgets for smaller entities. Participation in the budget will also include use of a forecast planning software.
Through performing reconciliations, this position may identify errors in expenses, duplicate payments and various other errors that impact the company’s bottom line. Analysis of the financial statements will have a positive impact regarding the accuracy of the bottom line.
Minimum Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance
- 7+ years of work experience in related fields
- Prior supervisory experience required
- Public accounting/audit experience is strongly preferred
- CPA is a plus, but not a requirement
- Strong technical GAAP foundation
- Experience with overall financial close – including preparation of general ledger reconciliations
- Financial analysis experience is a plus
- Budget preparation and forecasting experience is a plus
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Microsoft Excel
- Experience with PeopleSoft or similar ERP software is strongly preferred, but not a requirement
- Experience with Hyperion Financial Management, Hyperion Planning, or similar applications is strongly preferred, but not a requirement
- Requires understanding of GAAP and its impact on financial reporting
- Multi-currency knowledge and experience (revaluation, translation, FX risk) is a plus
- Excellent leadership skills
- Able to organize, coordinate, and direct projects
- Strong oral and written communication abilities
- Solid analytical and technical skills.
- As this role will have extensive interaction with Directors across the company and the VP of Finance during the annual budget process and related monthly budget vs. actuals analysis, exceptional customer service and relationship building skills are required
- The ability to handle multiple tasks while staying organized and detail-oriented is required
- Customer Service
- Building Relationships
- Business Knowledge / Organizational Acumen
- Self-Motivation/Self Starter
- Leading Self and Others