Senior Systems Engineer, Virtualization
PenFed is hiring a Senior Systems Engineer, Virtualization in Chantilly, VA. The primary purpose of this position is to provide engineering support for the design, implementation, support, and monitoring of an enterprise VMware vSphere environments.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job duties and the position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Partner with IT architecture team to ensure alignment of all VMware architecture processes, standards, strategies, and roadmaps.
- Design, implement, support, and monitor performance management of enterprise VMware vSphere environments across data centers.
- Provide technical vision about virtualization technologies, and describe customized solutions to address complex environments.
- Perform and automate systems provisioning, performance and scalability characteristics of the VMware vSphere product suite.
- Develop and maintain standard operating procedures for VDI environment.
- Test and document implementation guidelines for VMware technologies being deployed in the data centers.
- Assist the team defining standards for virtualization technologies and best practices for their use.
- Analyze and troubleshoot VMware server deployment and virtualization issues.
- Identify important potential technologies and approaches to address current and future needs within the enterprise, evaluate their applicability and fit, and make recommendations.
- In depth applied knowledge of monitoring VMware Operations Manager, VM tuning, and capacity planning.
- Analyzes, designs, tests, installs, documents, and maintains computer systems which have a high degree of complexity.
- Supervises and coordinates phases of projects and assigned to develop and complete system applications, designs, and modifications.
- Participates in on-call 24X7 support as needed in the event of system outage or failure.
- Provide documentation on installation and configuration procedures.
Education and Experience
Equivalent combination of education and experience is considered.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field of study is required.
- Advanced knowledge of VMware tool stack, vRealize Application Services, vRealize Automation, VSAN and Storage technologies.
- Minimum of five (5) years of practical experience in implementing and sustaining VMware installation, configuration, management, and data protection of high-availability virtualized environment is required.
- Experience with VCE Vblock and Cisco UCS is desired.
- Experience with VMware NSX is a plus.
- Virtual application packaging and remediation skills desired.
- Experience and working knowledge of SAN infrastructure, protocols and enterprise class storage systems and storage related concepts as it relates to building and supporting an enterprise class virtual infrastructure is preferred.
- This position will not supervise employees.
Licenses and Certifications
Following certifications are preferred but not required:
- VMware Certified Professional (VCP or VCAP)
- Cisco UCS certification (DCUCI or DCUCD)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an indoor office setting with moderate noise.
Local travel to various worksites is required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to meet the following physical demands:
Bending, Stretching or Reaching
Talking on the phone, person-to-person & in group
Hearing on the phone, person-to-person & in group
Vision for near, mid-range, far, peripheral, depth and color
Use of computer
Use of telephone
Use of office equipment
Pushing/pulling/lifting/ carrying from 5 to 50 lbs.
Founded in 1935, and still growing, we began as the War Department Federal Credit Union. Today, PenFed is one of the country’s strongest and most stable financial institutions with over 1.5 million members and over $21 billion in assets. We serve members in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as on military bases in Guam, Puerto Rico and Okinawa.
Our mission isn’t simply to help our members get by. We exist to help them realize every ounce of their potential. We exist to educate, and to encourage. We exist to usher their dreams into the land of reality.
We provide our employees with a lucrative benefits package including robust medical, dental and vision plan options, plenty of paid time off, 401k with employer match, on-site fitness facilities at our larger locations, and more.
PenFed is an Equal Opportunity Employer
PenFed will maintain and observe personnel policies which will prohibit discrimination or harassment against a person because of race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, religion, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status or obligation, the presence of a physical and/or mental disability and all other statuses protected by applicable state or local law in all recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, overtime, position classifications, work assignments, facilities, promotions, transfers, employee treatment, and in all other terms and conditions of employment. PenFed will also prohibit retaliation against individuals for raising a complaint of discrimination or harassment or participating in an investigation of same.
PenFed will also reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability so that they can apply for a job or perform the essential functions of a job unless doing so causes a direct threat to these individuals or others in the workplace and the threat cannot be eliminated by reasonable accommodation or if the accommodation creates an undue hardship to PenFed. Contact human resources (HR) with any questions or requests for accommodation at 703-838-1568.