Oportun is a financial technology company founded in 2005. Our mission is to provide affordable loans to US Latinos and others with limited credit history so they can establish credit and build a better future. Oportun uses advanced data analytics and technology to “score” and lend money to individuals with limited credit history – people other lenders consider “unscorable.”
In recognition of Oportun’s goals of increasing economic opportunity for our clients, promoting community development, and serving low-income or underserved communities, Oportun was certified by the United States Department of Treasury as a Community Development Financial Institution or CDFI.
At Oportun, everything we do reflects our corporate values of Service, Care, Innovation, Courage, Excellence, and Empowerment.
Oportun is a great place to work if you are as enthusiastic about helping others as you are about your own professional development and career. As our CEO Raul Vazquez says, “Earning a paycheck to support yourself and your family is critical. Satisfying career ambitions is rewarding. But there is no greater privilege than having a challenging job where you are growing and learning professionally, while having a strong positive impact on the lives of others… And that is what we do here every day.”Responsibilities:
The Senior Director of Business & Product Strategy plays a highly visible and cross-functional role leading business strategy and product management for Oportun. This role has responsibilities for overall strategic and P&L management of our product portfolio down to the contribution margin level. Additionally, this role has responsibility for effectively defining the winning medium to long term growth strategy for the company, and putting in place the organic and business development initiatives required to achieve that strategy. Effectiveness in this role requires competence and passion for the full breadth of general management skillsets in consumer finance.
- Develop and guide and effective growth strategy for the company’s products, considering market context, and both internal and external realities
- Measure and track our Serviceable and Total Addressable Markets (SAM and TAM) and Market share considering customer segments; geography; channel preferences; use cases; etc
- Clearly define which customer segments we are targeting and why; and which ones we are not. Establish and align plan for expansion of targetable universe (SAM and TAM expansion strategy)
- Based on the customer strategy, define the company’s product strategy, including effective value propositions for each of our products, matched up against our targeted customer segments and use case
- Accountable and “buck stops here” responsibility for “Product” and “Pricing,” the first two of the “4 P’s” of our products
- Define and drive successful execution of the Products Roadmap to support the business strategy
- P&L management of Oportun’s installment loan and disbursement products to the contribution-margin level
- Define and execute the company’s strategy and tactics for loan pricing (as well as other aspects of product construct such as term, payment features, etc.). Achieve appropriate customer and P&L outcomes
- End-to-end business ownership and process stewardship of our products as they flow through the enterprise. Ensure that our products can effectively be delivered to the market across the business system.
- Develop and monitor appropriate KPI’s to track performance of the products
- Business development for the company in regards to both partnership and M&A opportunities to augment our growth strategy. Business development opportunities may relate to accelerating distribution of existing products; bringing new products into the portfolio; or variety of other growth vectors.