Job Number: 444144
The Director of Finance is responsible for the hands-on management of the accounting, budget, payroll, and accounts payable functions, as well as planning and forecasting. While there are high expectations for the role, professional development opportunities are available for the right candidate, if necessary. Overall, this role presents a unique opportunity to join a successful, results-driven organization that has literally changed the lives of its students through access to superior education.
The Director of Finance reports to the Vice President for Administration.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Manage all aspects of the finance and accounting function within the organization.
- Ensure provision of timely and accurate analysis and reporting of financial data including monthly reports for use in expense control, forecasting, reporting, and preparing quarterly projections.
- Manage the annual audit process, liaising with external auditors and internal teams.
- Monitor and track the organization's investment and retirement portfolios.
- Ensure appropriate management of all revenue received, liaising closely with the Development Department.
- Manage cash position, ensuring appropriate management of funds, preparing cash flow projections, and monitoring cash flow needs.
- Ensure maintenance of accurate financial records, including all financial/accounting systems.
- Develop effective relationships with Executive Staff and respective departments to ensure timely management of all business and program activities
Skills, Experience, and Competencies:
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting or Finance with in-depth understanding of GAAP. Related advanced degree or CPA a plus.
- Minimum 3 - 5 years of experience in managing the finance and accounting function at a nonprofit is required.
- Direct 'hands-on' experience in financial management and accounting including reporting, budgeting, and basic auditing.
- Knowledge of financial management in non-profit organizations including requirements
- Excellent written and oral communication skills together with excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to build effective internal and external relationships and communicate effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Detail-oriented and the agility to juggle multiple projects and competing deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to exercise sound judgment.
- A proactive approach, strong sense of urgency, and results oriented. Proactive, takes initiative, and plans ahead to complete projects with little supervision.
- Strong work ethic with high level of integrity and dependability, serving as a responsible and trusted team player.
- Excellent MS Office skills (especially Excel and PowerPoint) and Quickbooks