Oportun is a financial technology company founded in 2005. Our mission is to provide affordable loans to US Latinos and others with limited credit history so they can establish credit and build a better future. Oportun uses advanced data analytics and technology to “score” and lend money to individuals with limited credit history – people other lenders consider “unscorable.”
In recognition of Oportun’s goals of increasing economic opportunity for our clients, promoting community development, and serving low-income or underserved communities, Oportun was certified by the United States Department of Treasury as a Community Development Financial Institution or CDFI.
At Oportun, everything we do reflects our corporate values of Service, Care, Innovation, Courage, Excellence, and Empowerment.
Oportun is a great place to work if you are as enthusiastic about helping others as you are about your own professional development and career. As our CEO Raul Vazquez says, “Earning a paycheck to support yourself and your family is critical. Satisfying career ambitions is rewarding. But there is no greater privilege than having a challenging job where you are growing and learning professionally, while having a strong positive impact on the lives of others… And that is what we do here every day.”Responsibilities:
The Director or Sr. Director of Risk Management reports to Oportun’s Chief Credit Officer and leads a team of risk managers responsible for managing credit policy and risk performance for all loan origination channels (retail, mail and digital). This highly visible role is responsible for designing Oportun’s core intellectual property leveraged in risk decisioning for underserved consumers that often lack a traditional credit bureau score. You will work directly with Oportun’s team of Risk Engineers in an agile development environment to implement the strategies that the risk team designs into our proprietary risk scoring platform. This is an exciting opportunity in a fast paced organization where your contributions can have a meaningful impact on increasing access to Oportun’s affordable, credit building loan product for consumers with little or no credit history.
- Lead the design of innovative new risk strategies and then communicate concise requirements to the Risk Engineering team to flawlessly implement into Oportun’s proprietary risk scoring platform
- Obtain approval for new risk strategies from Oportun’s Risk Committee which includes Oportun’s CFO and CEO
- Manage the flawless execution of direct mail and digital marketing programs optimizing NPV across multiple credit bureaus and lead sources
- Closely monitor the credit performance of Oportun’s loan portfolio adjusting risk strategies to ensure desired loss rates
- Manage, grow and mentor the Risk Management team
- Analyze current risk strategies and determine profitability at the margin. Recommend changes to risk strategies to maximize profitability and ensure required return on capital for all channels and risk segments
- Determine optimal loan size amount and term by risk segment by reading existing tests and setting up new tests. Optimize NPV of loan amount assignment strategy given a set of constraints and assumptions.
- Research and implement new data sources for credit scoring, fraud prevention and verifying income
- Maintain departmental policies and procedures and be the primary liaison for regulatory examinations and audits