Director -Human Resources, BMSC (Integration)
It’s a powerful feeling, to belong. It’s inspiring people to do more than they thought they could. It’s leading the way by rolling up your sleeves to accomplish a common goal. It’s taking a passion and turning it into your vision. Belonging is what it feels like to work at Marriott. If this sounds like the place for you, join us.
The Marriott International HQ located at 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda, MD, 20817 is currently hiring a Director -Human Resources, BMSC (Integration).
Responsibilities include: The Director, Human Resources - BMSC will perform a key HR function related to integration efforts and carry out HR generalist responsibilities for assigned departments within the Brand, Marketing, Sales, and Consumer Services (BMSC) organization. This individual will report to the VP, Human Resources, BMSC responsible for integration efforts. This role will coordinate all implementation activities related to reorganizations within BMSC disciplines, facilitating the connectivity between the HR Generalist, the business leaders and support teams (e.g. TA, communications, compensation, HR services, HR systems, etc). The role will also contribute to executing ongoing HR processes (talent acquisition, compensation, development and performance management, engagement, associate relations, and workforce planning) and initiate enhancements that address the organizational change and build organizational capability.
Education and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university or college, advanced degree (MBA, MS) or PHR/SPHR certification
- 8+ years of relevant professional experience in human resources, organizational capability, human capital consulting or related function, demonstrating progressive career growth and pattern of exceptional performance.
- Recent experience as a Human Resources Generalist / Business Partner with Senior Level Executives; specifically, broad experience base in one or more of the following areas: talent management and development, workforce planning, employee relations, recruitment, compensation, performance management and coaching, organizational design and change management
- Experience building and tracking HR metrics/scorecards with high-level proficiency in MS Excel and MS Access
- Travel is required between Marriott offices.
- Advanced degree, including MBA or MS
- Experience supporting global organizations with direct HR partnership for non-US locations
- Strategic mindset with strong business acumen
- Confidence to voice opinions and ideas
- Strong problem solving skills
- Experience in a role requiring independent decision-making and management of conflicting priorities in a fast paced environment
- Outstanding collaboration and project management skills
- Sound knowledge of local labor laws and government requirements
- Understanding of HR concepts and principles
- Strong interest in innovative HR solutions and process improvement
- Experience with HRMS systems and applications (e.g. PeopleSoft, Marrpay, Report Writer, Compensation Tool, myHR, Performance Management, and Human Capital Planning)
- Proven facilitation experience
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational and documentation skills
- Passionate, business advocate who wants to make a difference in the organization by helping associates succeed
- Approachable and responsive resource able to connect and communicate effectively with associates at all levels
- Strong customer service focus, with a high level of responsiveness
- Supportive team player with a strong drive to create a positive work environment
- Applies solid judgement ensuring integrity, compliance and confidentiality
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Serve key function for HR activities related to the Starwood integration
- Provide implementation oversight of reorganizations across the BMSC disciplines, including full life-cycle staffing, compensation alignment, separation processes, and communications activities.
- Partner with BMSC HR generalists and coordinate with support functions such as recruiting, compensation, HR services, HR systems, communications, etc.
- Update and utilize tools and processes needed to support the organization design and activation activities.
- Maintain databases and produce dashboards to ensure data integrity, support decision-making and monitor the effectiveness of processes.
- Coordinate with enterprise change management and oversee BMSC on-boarding program to ensure successful integration of Starwood talent.
Provides consultation and support to business leaders to optimize human resource strategies.
- Partner with stakeholders to drive a high-performance culture across BMSC through the leadership and execution of HR business strategies by facilitating the implementation and execution of initiatives that drive associate engagement, reinforce company culture, and engender commitment from associates.
- Consult with business leaders on managing performance within their organization and ensure that optimal business decisions are made that protect and strengthen Marriott culture and brand. Coach to build a performance and feedback culture within client teams. Work with client teams to identify and address associate engagement challenges.
- Participate in administrative staff meetings for assigned business leaders.
- Support business leaders in the implementation or execution of initiatives that drive associate engagement, reinforce company culture, and engender commitment from associates.
- Partner with BMSC HR leadership team to develop and execute against the HR Talent Strategy.
- Work with BMSC leaders to develop and act on a diversity strategy plan including having diverse candidate slates for key jobs, and identifying and developing high potential diverse talent.
Supports the ongoing development of talent and organizational capability for assigned teams.
- Partner with department managers to understand the talent needs of the organization; Assess current and future talent needs based on business levels and growth plans, develop plans and programs to address both talent and skill gaps. Work with recruiters to ensure positions are filled with candidates who best meet the profile and job specifications.
- Apply professional expertise in talent assessment to facilitate optimal staffing decisions and development planning for key jobs.
- Partner with leaders as appropriate to ensure that organizational structures are aligned with business goals, work processes/systems are efficient and can be leveraged across disciplines, and roles and accountabilities are clearly defined and aligned with key priorities and a shared vision with decisions made at the right level. Also ensure that supporting components (compensation structure, bonus plan design, job design) support business goals.
- Supports facilitation of succession and workforce planning activities that support the business growth strategy. Applies personal expertise in talent assessment to facilitate optimal development planning.
Monitors, manages, and administers human resource procedures and plans for assigned teams.
- Facilitate effective and timely completion of core HR programs and processes (e.g. Human Capital Planning, Compensation Planning, Performance Management, Engagement Survey) to support the selection, development, and engagement of BMSC talent.
- Monitor and manage HR data reporting templates and processes to provide organizational health metrics for BMSC. Partner with HR leadership to identify the critical data components and build sustainable mechanisms for ongoing tracking and reporting.
- Provide on-going HR consultation and support to address associate relations needs, particularly as related to team engagement, morale, and productivity.
- Partners with HR Services team to work through associate relations issues associated with performance, leave, business integrity, terminations, or other associate relations matters.
- Garner support from appropriate COEs (e.g., HR COEs, Finance, Legal, etc.) to provide solutions to Business Partners, and in turn, serve as resource and sounding board to HR COEs in their efforts to build enterprise solutions.
- Champion key HR processes throughout the year (e.g. performance & compensation management, MI Share allocations, engagement, etc.) and ensure business partners understand implications of their recommendations and decisions.
- Facilitate and work with Compensation and Talent Management Analytics COEs to analyze and administer external market and internally competitive reward practices to attract and retain talent.
- Adaptability – Maintains performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
- Communication – Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building and Contributing to Teams - Participates as a member of a team to move toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
- Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Talent Management - Provides support and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
- HR Management
- HR Data Management
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access strongly preferred.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension – Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
To submit your application for this job, please go to:
Marriott International is consistently recognized as an employer of choice around the globe by FORTUNE and Working Mother magazines, DiversityInc, Great Places to Work Institute, and the CRF institute among others. Visit our newsroom to learn more: news.marriott.com
Connect and network online with us:
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.