The Director of Design - Focused Service Brands will be responsible for supporting the Vice President Technical Services North America, the SVP of Global Design, Brand Product Management team, Focused Service Brand teams, Focused Service Architecture and Construction teams among others in establishing an industry leading design position. The Team Member will also support the Architecture and Construction team in providing day to day design guidance for all North American Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, Home2 Suites and Tru new construction, conversion, adaptive re-use, room addition and renovation projects.
What will I be doing?
- Will be an integral participant with the brands as Hilton establishes a design direction for brand refresh initiatives within North America
- Responsible for overseeing and contributing to the activities of the internal focused service design team that is tasked with guiding design through reviewing and approving all renovation, conversions and new construction design submittals for the focused service brand projects
- The above will include collaborating with internal and external customers at critical stages of each project's development and ensuring that proper procedures are established to guarantee consistency with the brand's properties across North America
- Provide day to day guidance to franchise partners, third-party designers and internal stakeholders for the design of all guest facing design work within the managed and franchise portfolio
- Direct the career development and administration of departmental Team Members
- Provide direction and directives to the departmental Team Members in the performance of their duties, establishing work priorities and achieving management objectives
- Execute directives of enterprise mission, goals and objectives through ongoing and direct motivation, communication, group dynamics and leadership
- Manage partnerships with strategic portfolio ownership groups
- Own and manage all activities of the Focused Service Design department
- Translate organizational goals and objectives into performance standards for individual positions within the design team
- Assess actual performance against standards to determine whether the department is on target to reach its goals and taking corrective actions throughout the year as necessary to successfully achieve performance goals
- Ensure the business plan and goals are being followed and achieved, providing feedback or revising the plan, if needed
- Establish and enforce policies and procedures that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the Design team
- Review and make appropriate adjustments in activities and expenses throughout the fiscal year to meet established departmental budget as defined by Vice President Technical Services North America
- Travel as necessary to accomplish the goals for the position while managing travel expenses within company guidelines and maximizing travel efficiencies
- Review and provide timely, digital comment on New Build, Conversion and Adaptive Re-Use Interior Design Submittals to ensure alignment with published Brand Standards and Brand's desired aesthetic, and ensuring Brand swim lanes are maintained
- Negotiate with Franchise Partners and their Designer team to achieve mutually-agreeable and business-minded solutions while maintaining Brand intent as best possible communicating conclusions internally for full alignment and support
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of current Brand Standards across all Focused Service brands; and assisting in the revision of Standards to continually refine and improve product
- Work collaboratively with Hilton Project Directors, Brand Performance Support, QA and others to provide Franchise Partners and their design consultants with clear direction relevant to each unique situation
- Assist the Design team as needed in reviewing New Build, Conversion, Adaptive Re-Use and Renovation interior design submittal reviews
- Train and guide Design Team Members in brand-specific standards, pillars, philosophies and culture as needed
- Contribute to special in-house interior design projects as required
- Keep the Vice President of Technical Services informed on an ongoing basis as to the performance of the Design Team in executing its duties
- Update the SVP of Global Design and the Vice President of Technical Services on a regular basis on the status of any design initiatives, FF&E or prototype updates, etc.
What are we looking for?
To fulfill this role successfully, you must possess the following minimum qualifications and experience:
- BA/BS Bachelor's Degree
- A minimum of six (6) years of experience in Hospitality Interior Design roles, including a minimum of two (2) years of management experience
- Ability to travel as required
It would be advantageous in this position for you to demonstrate the following capabilities and distinctions:
- MA/MS Master's Degree
- A minimum of ten (10) years of Hospitality industry experience, with a mix of experience from various design roles
- A minimum of six (6) years of Director level experience
- In-depth knowledge of design principals
What will it be like to work for Hilton?
Hilton is the leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For nearly a century, Hilton has offered business and leisure travelers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities and value. Hilton is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands. Our vision to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality unites us as a team to create remarkable hospitality experiences around the world every day. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!