As a high performing team member of BMO Harris Bank, the Bank Manager manages all functions and staff of a Retail branch. The Bank Manager is accountable for maximizing branch revenues, sales, customer satisfaction and minimizing operating losses. The role deploys resources to optimize individual and team performance and is responsible for branch compliance with bank policies, procedures and operational integrity.
The Bank Manager prioritizes, manages and communicates promotional campaigns and product initiatives and is accountable to work cross-functionally with other banking business partners to maximize growth and profitability. The Bank Manager conducts cold calls on prospective small business customers and maintains and develops relationships with existing small business customers. The role creates and manages branch business plan and is responsible for establishing and enhancing the Bank’s presence in the local market and developing strong community partnerships.
The Bank Manager leads, coaches and trains staff and conducts performance reviews. The role is also accountable for providing ancillary support to retail bankers and at the service line, as well as risk and compliance management and the optimal operation of the branch. Embraces, adopts, and promotes innovative ways of banking with employees and customers.
Manage the Business (Business Delivery and Operational Effectiveness)
Manage the People (Managerial Leadership)
Manage the Relationships (Client and Relationship Management)
Manage the Risk (Risk Management and Control)
Manage the Business
- Create a proactive sales and service environment in which to maximize employee sales productivity and customer service effectiveness for existing and potential customers of all banking groups in order for the branch to achieve financial goals and deliver superior customer service, resulting in outcomes that define great customer experience.
- Collaborate with management to develop and implement a sales and service business plan for the branch which incorporates assigned branch goals and sales and service activities in order to achieve branch objectives.
- Communicate goals, plans and assignments to achieve financial and customer service goals.
- Deliver sales and service initiatives and programs to support the region and Bank’s sales and service objectives, while delivering clarity to customers through simplicity, guidance, and know-how.
- Personally contribute to the Bank’s business objectives through direct market intervention by way of sales calls, establishing a personal referral network and other business development activities.
- Review and monitor sales and service performance against plan to identify gaps, issues and best practices; develop and implement action plans to close the gaps and resolve the issues.
- Collaborate with management to assess both the competition and market opportunities on a regular basis in order to identify strengths, opportunities, weakness, and threats.
- Assess and deploy equipment and processes to optimize allocation of resources within the branch.
- Stay current on BMO Harris digital banking capabilities and coach team to provide proactive, needs based guidance on BMO Harris' digital banking and self-service technologies
Manage the People
- Build and sustain a diverse branch team of employees who are capable of delivering the sales and service, operational and risk management performance required for the branch.
- Provide planning, leadership and direction to a team of employees in order to align tasks and assignments with branch goals and objectives.
- Set appropriate context and establish prescribed goals and limits for employees to ensure adherence to established policies and procedures.
- Assess team and individual performance, identify and close skill and knowledge gaps to increase the effectiveness and performance of branch employees.
- Grow capabilities of branch employees by providing coaching and guidance and by developing individual career and/or development plans for all direct reports.
- Communicate the linkages between the accountabilities and authorities of different roles in the branch and establish the context in which they will work collaboratively with one another in order to optimize team integration.
- Establish a two-way working relationship with employees to solicit their views on the working environment, potential changes affecting their work and continuous improvement opportunities.
- Develop and/or review work schedules for all branch staff to ensure appropriate resource levels.
- Identify/address performance issues in a timely manner, with a sense of urgency, to ensure all team members are performing at the highest level.
Manage the Relationships
- Create an environment that promotes customer service, aligning business goals with customer needs and building lasting relationships in order to achieve superior service levels.
- Create culture of needs based/advisory conversations.
- Resolve complaints in an appropriate and timely manner to ensure customer needs are met or exceeded, escalating to higher level as necessary.
- Contribute to the effective interface and interaction with other key lines of business partners (e.g., Business Banking Relationship Managers, Mortgage Loan Officers, Investment Specialists, Private Bank Teams, etc.) to optimize marketplace opportunities, leverage sales and referral opportunities, and provide full financial service offering to customers.
- Develop and enhance the Bank’s profile in the community, and build relationships with members of local community based organizations, which may include participating in worthwhile business and community activities in order to seek out and create opportunities to promote the products and services of all Banking groups, on a regular basis both for self and team members.
- Provide ancillary support to the retail bankers and at service line, as needed.
- Manage relationships with other areas of the Bank providing support services to the branch (e.g., Operations, Consumer Lending Center, Mortgage Operations, etc.) to ensure effective and efficient operation and administration of customer transactions.
- Participate in ongoing professional development, keep up-to-date on financial services/ market trends and new Bank initiatives, and attend Regional meetings, etc, in order to effectively perform in the role.
Manage the Risk
- Monitor controllable non-interest expenses and revenues of the branch’s profitability to ensure targets are met or exceeded.
- Monitor, control reports and conduct audits in accordance with Bank policies and procedures and regulatory, legal and ethical requirements in order to manage operational risk and minimize losses (e.g., identify and report transactions of activity which are suspected to be related to money laundering) escalating issues to senior/executive management as necessary.
- Conduct and review sales and service operations in a safe and secure manner and safeguard all branch assets to ensure the safety and privacy of Bank and customer assets and transactions, escalating issues to senior/executive management as necessary.
- Adhere consistently to the Bank’s brand and corporate identity standards, including proper merchandising according to Bank merchandising guidelines and effective appearance and maintenance of the branch premises, in order to project a professional and consistent image.
Know and adhere to banking regulations and company directives by reviewing the appropriate reference material and completing the annual compliance training courses as required in order to effectively manage risk, operational and compliance requirements.
- Knowledge & Skills
CREDIT QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
This role requires Credit Qualification. The incumbent must possess Basic level of Credit knowledge and skills and a Basic level of Portfolio Management knowledge and skills in accordance with the standards established within the Credit Qualification Process Policies & Procedures.
- Bank Manager II Preferred:
Associate’s or Bachelors’ degree or equivalent + 2-5 of years of financial industry experience and previous leadership and/or management experience along with previous sales experience
High School diploma or equivalent + 1 year of financial industry experience and previous leadership and/or management experience along / with previous sales experience
Bank Manager I Preferred:
Undergraduate College/University Degree or equivalent + 4-7 years of financial industry experience and previous leadership and/or management experience along with previous sales experience
Undergraduate College/University Degree or equivalent + 3 years of financial industry experience and previous leadership and/or management experience along with previous sales experience
- SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
Manage the Business
Sales and Service Management:
Ability to develop and expand customer relationships by maximizing employee sales productivity and customer service effectiveness for existing and potential customers. Ability to develop, implement and review short and long term business plans to maximize business growth. Ability to review and monitor sales and service performance against plan.
Business Acumen and Financial Literacy:
Knowledge of the business, market, industry and local market environment. Knowledge of financial management. Ability to identify what constitutes business opportunity to the organization. Ability to weigh financial implications in terms of the balance of investment and expense control. Knowledge of financial reports as it pertains to the business.
Ability to make sound decisions and ensure decisions achieve results in a timely manner. Ability to think strategically; solve problems effectively, and maintain a sense of urgency where required.
Comfortable using, advising on, and engaging team members and customers in digital and other innovative forms of banking.
Openness and Adaptability:
Ability to effectively adapt to rapid advancements in technology and the changing nature of the banking environment. Open to learning and adopting new technology and/or ways of working.
Demonstrated ability to influence and lead others through change
- People Development:
Ability to share knowledge and promote staff learning and development. Ability to persuade and encourage others to move in a desired direction. Ability to evaluate potential in others and deploy talent by putting the right people in the right place at the right time. Ability to engage the diverse abilities, qualities and experiences of every employee and ensure a diverse workforce. Ability to create an inclusive and supportive work environment where each individual can reach their full potential and contribute to the success of the business. Ability to recognize and reward achievements, inspire trust and motivate others. Ability to foster teamwork.
- Performance Management:
Ability to inform, educate, and coach staff to ensure financial objectives and service standards are met. Ability to communicate expectations and provide specific and balanced feedback. Ability to give direction, set limits, and hold people accountable for high performance. Ability to manage difficult conversations with employees and give positive feedback and motivation to employees.
- Manage the Relationships
Ability to create an environment that promotes customer service, aligning business goals with customer needs and building lasting relationships through exceptional service.
Ability to accurately understand and respond appropriately when interacting with individuals and groups. Ability to be open and receptive to information or others views, to put people at ease, and to show straightforwardness, tact and composure. Ability to make communication a priority and utilize appropriate communication approaches for the situation and correspond clearly and concisely through business writing and presentations.
- Relationship Building:
Ability to develop community partnerships to enhance the Bank’s profile within the community and achieve business related goals. Ability to maximize customer retention and develop partnerships with complementary lines of business. Ability to work to identify, build, mend, and maintain relationships or networks of contacts with people who are useful in achieving business related goals.
- Personal Effectiveness:
Ability to take responsibility for personal performance and development. Ability to adapt in a rapidly changing environment. Ability to impact and influence others, and embody, demonstrate and promote core company values.
- Risk and Compliance Management:
Ability to assess the degree of risk in plans or actions and take appropriate steps to control/counteract the risk, or make contingency plans to limit the magnitude of risk. Ability to continually assess client relationships to ensure all controllable factors supports profitability and growth objectives. Knowledge of applicable banking regulations and related corporate policies, standards and directives. Ability to take appropriate action to maintain compliance standards, and demonstrate sound judgment, decision-making and discretion. Ability to proactively organize in order to reduce uncertainty or variance, and/or improve quality, accuracy and clarity.
At BMO Harris Bank, we have been helping our customers and communities for over 130 years. Working with us means being part of a team of talented, passionate individuals with a shared focus on working together to deliver great customer experiences. We stand behind your success with the support you need to turn your potential into performance.
To submit your application for this job, please go to:
BMO Harris Bank is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diversity, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or veteran status.