You’ll Find It At Airgas! Airgas USA, LLC is the nation’s largest distributor of industrial, medical and specialty gases, welding supplies and related safety products. It is also the largest manufacturer of nitrous oxide in the U.S., and a leading supplier of dry ice. With nearly 1,200 locations and approximately 15,000 employees nationwide Airgas is uniquely positioned to serve our diversified customer base. The West Region of Airgas USA, LLC (responsible for Southern California/Southern Nevada/Arizona/Hawaii) is seeking an Assistant Plant Manager/Quality Control to help oversee our operation in Kapolei, HI. This position will report directly to the Plant Foreman/Manager. JOB SUMMARY: The qualified candidate will supervise, coordinate activities, and schedule employees safely engaged in producing bulk industrial gases and dry ice. The Assistant Plant Manager will be responsible for assisting with product quality control, overall plant/facility maintenance and safety. This position requires a motivated, self-directed individual with excellent organizational skills and a strong work ethic. ESSENTIAL ACCOUNTABILITIES:
• Must lead within the Airgas culture – putting safety first.• Operate and safely maintain air separation and CO2 plant while ensuring compliance with all federal, state, local and Company policies, procedures, regulations, and laws.
• Establishes or adjusts work procedures to meet production schedules, using knowledge of capacities of machines and equipment.
• Conduct periodic checks of each operation unit for safe and efficient operation.• Studies production schedules and estimate worker-hour requirements for completion of job assignments.• Coordinate the proper inventory levels of cylinders, products, supplies and equipment.
• Maintains product quality control and testing procedures.• Coordinates quality control procedures with all QC inspectors. • Assist in the development and administering of a quality assurance program to meet all in-house, government, food safety compliance, and customer required specifications.• Will assist plant manager in budgetary efforts to implement and maintain cost controls.
• Implements measures to improve production methods, equipment performance, quality of product, and changes working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency of work crew.• Initiates or suggests plans to motivate workers to achieve work goals.
• Maintains time and production records. • Promote development and cross training of staff.
• Assists in the training of new workers and cross trains employees during personnel shortages.• Approve overtime when essential, while keeping overtime to acceptable levels.• Assists in the development and implementation of a safety program designed to ensure a safe work place and reduced accident frequency through employee training and increased safety awareness.• Interprets company policies to workers and enforces safety regulations.
• Ensure all safety rules are strictly observed and safety training is regularly scheduled, conducted and documented.• Reviews the monthly Safety Inspection Check List.• Ensure monthly safety meeting are conducted.
• Reviews safety meeting minutes.• Ensure a neat, clean and orderly plant appearance is maintained.• Comply with all Airgas safety rules and company policies. • Ensure any accident or injury is promptly reported.• Wear proper PPE in work area at all time.• Ability to operate in a drug-free workplace.
• Additional duties as required. SECONDARY ACCOUNTABILITIES:Will assist in the direction, coordination and evaluation of plant personnel. Will carry out responsibilities in accordance with company policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include support in interviewing, hiring, training associates; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining associates; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Ensure associates understand the Airgas USA, LLC Standard Operating Procedures, Code of Conduct, HR and Safety Policies. Will distribute, communicate and explain company issued correspondence and bulletins. Conduct and lead regular staff meetings/conference calls.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION, KNOW-HOW & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor Degree in Engineering, Chemistry, Industrial Technology, or similar field highly desired, or equivalent experience in industrial gases supply industry.
• 2-5 years experience supervising, motivating and leading first level supervisors and other employees, preferably in a large plant/manufacturing environment.• Experience managing and working with Union associates preferred.• Mechanically inclined aptitude.
• Must have ability to read blueprints, engineering and electronic diagrams.
• Current working knowledge of DOT, OSHA PSM, FDA cGMPs, and EPA RMP requirements.• Can work independently and under some pressure to meet deadlines.
• Excellent organization, documentation and follow-up skills • Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to read and comprehend materiel safety data sheets.
• Ability to work flexible schedule to meet management requirements and customer expectations.
• Ability to work with a wide variety of people with different personalities and backgrounds.• Pre-employment and random drug testing applies. COMPUTER SKILLS:
• Possess proficient computer skills (i.e. Word, Excel, Outlook, and database programs).
• Experience with SAP or similar ERP a plus.
• Ability to enter and extract data into and out of a computer.
• Strong mathematical skills needed.
• Able to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, percentages.
COMMUNICATION and/or CRITICAL THINKING and PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS:
• Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or government regulations.
• Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure documents.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from other associates, managers, customers and the general public.
• Use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
• Able to identify problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
In lieu of the above, any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the aforementioned knowledge, abilities, and skills may be considered at the company’s discretion.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The USES category for this position is medium. While performing the duties of this job the associate is regularly required to stand, sit, kneel, squat, and walk, as well as talk and hear. The associate must occasionally lift and/or move up to 65 lbs. and move more than 100 lbs. with the aid of material handling equipment. Maybe climb up to 150ft and use ladder or lift to work at various heights. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and color vision. Requires manual dexterity to answer phones and use computer keyboard and mouse.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the associate is occasionally exposed to moving office machine parts. Though the associate will spend the majority of the time in the store, there will be times he/she is outside assisting the customer loading/unloading product from a vehicle. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Airgas offers a competitive compensation and excellent benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k), employee stock purchase plan, and more.
We know it takes time and energy to submit an application. While we sincerely appreciate your interest in this position, due to the high volume of applications received we are not able to reach out to every applicant individually. If we think you might be a match for this position our recruiting team will reach out to you directly.
Airgas is an equal opportunity employer EOE/M/F/V/D.
Airgas, Inc. (NYSE: ARG), through its subsidiaries, is the largest U.S. distributor of industrial, medical and specialty gases, and hardgoods, such as welding equipment and supplies. Airgas is also a leading U.S. producer of atmospheric gases, carbon dioxide, dry ice, and nitrous oxide, one of the largest U.S. distributors of safety products, and a leading U.S. distributor of refrigerants, ammonia products, and process chemicals.
Airgas Executive Chairman of the Board of Directors Peter McCausland founded the company in 1982. Through approximately 400 acquisitions and internal growth, Airgas has built the largest national distribution network in the packaged gas industry. More than 15,000 employees work in more than 1,100 locations includes branches, cylinder fill plants, production facilities, specialty gas laboratories, and regional distribution centers to serve a diversified customer base. Airgas markets through multiple channels, including its own branches and outside sales force, a Strategic Accounts Team focused on large customers, distributors and resellers, telesales, catalog and eBusiness channels.